Best Ankle Brace Reviews 2018
Are you a sportsperson? If yes, then you will probably know in that case that ankle injuries are quite common in the life of a sportsperson. Whether you are practicing on the field or working out at the gym, your ankle can easily get injured if you tend to ignore it a lot. Ankles injuries can be a nasty affair and it can easily prevent you from walking properly. The best way to cure such injuries is to use an ankle brace and in this guide, we give you our top picks for the Best Ankle Brace.
Most of you probably do not know that ankle braces are not just useful when you have an ankle injury. These are also helpful when you have a balancing issue. People into volleyball and basketball are always encouraged to wear such braces around their ankles since these sports require a lot of jumping. Thus, proper precaution is always important to prevent any major injuries.
How to Choose the Right Ankle Brace?
One of the biggest challenges while choosing a suitable ankle brace is trying to get one which fits perfectly. Wearing one which is too tight will make you feel uncomfortable while walking around and also have the probability of cutting your natural blood flow in your legs. On the other hand, loose ones are rather comfortable. However, these fail to be effective in providing proper support to your ankles. You will be surprised to know that ankle braces are available according to your gender. It is invariable to state here that there is no ankle brace in the market which fits all types and sizes of ankles.
When you compare ankle braces based on the two genders, you will notice that these differ in terms of designs and sizes. You will also find several ankle braces, which are especially designed for kids of different ages. Choosing the right type of brace for your ankle is largely dependent upon the type of ankle injury you have.
Types of Probable Ankles Injuries
When it comes to ankle injuries, many of you will think that any type of injury in your ankle region is the same. However, there are minor differences in the injuries and there are primarily 3 types of ankle injuries. These injuries actually depend on the location of the displacement of the ankle after an injury.
Inversion Ankle Sprain: This happens when your ankle turns inwards after sustaining an injury. Another name given to this type of injury is lateral
- Ligament Sprain: The outer part of your ankle will experience excruciating pain when you try to walk or even when you try to touch the injured region. This is dependent on the severity of the injury. This type of ankle injury is highly common amongst athletes and usually takes a time period of around 2-3 weeks to heal completely.
- Eversion Ankle Injury: This is basically the opposite of inversion ankle injury and in this case the ankle rolls outward. This type of ankle injury is extremely rare. However, if this happens you will definitely require medical attention. Another name given to this type of ankle injury is medial ankle sprains.
- High Ankle Sprains: In this case, the ankle gets pushed up above its normal position, thus, the name high. It takes a time period of around 6 weeks to heal completely and medical attention is essential.
Different Types of Ankle Braces
Just like there are different types of ankle injuries, similarly, there are different types of ankle braces in the market. Some knowledge about the various types of braces will help you choose the right one that suits you. Even if you do not have an ankle injury, you can still use one to prevent any future injuries to your ankles. These braces are common prophylactic or injury prevention equipment.
- Sleeves: These are highly common in the market and are also easily available. You do not require any doctor’s prescription in order to get these type of ankle braces. These are easily available at any medical store or even online stores. However, it is important for you to note that sleeves are not considered to be the best when it comes to providing support to people with serious balance problems.
- Stir-Ups: Whatever be the type of ankle injury, stir-ups are an excellent choice, especially for high ankle sprains. These type of ankle braces come with plastic or metallic strips that run along the entire stretch of your leg and can easily be adjusted to treat high ankle sprains. There are some types of stir-ups which come with removable bladders on both sides. These bladders are used for additional compression and can easily be stored in your refrigerator in order to provide a cold or warm compression to the injured section. The strap can also be adjusted to alter the level of rigidity depending on the injury.
- Lace-ups: You will find multiple closing mechanisms in this type of ankle braces. However, these come with laces to help your ankle get proper support. Whether you use it for treating an injury or for preventive measures, lace-ups are a great choice for providing proper ankle support. Some models also come with an additional Velcro strap to help secure your ankle in a better manner.
Top 5 Ankle Braces Available On the Market
It is needless to say that you will find various types of ankle braces in the market. However, as discussed above, some knowledge on this topic will help you choose the right one easily depending on the type of injury to your ankle. Here are 5 of the best ankle braces in the market.
PowerLix Ankle Brace
This ankle brace provides phenomenal protection and even pressure across your ankle. As a result of this, you will experience a never before relief from a wide array of ankle ailments such as arthritis, plantar fasciitis, swelling, sprain, and tendonitis, to name a few.
Even if you do not have an ankle injury, you can still wear the PowerLix Ankle Brace since it lets you tackle any type of activity without worrying about injuring your ankle. This product is suitable for sportsmen in any type of sports such as CrossFit, basketball, baseball, tennis, hiking, golf, soccer, and volleyball amongst others.
You can expect proper ankle support with this product while you maintain your peak performance in your sports. This ankle brace is made with superior materials to provide ultimate comfort, support, and relief. It is tight enough for your ankle and ensure proper breathing space for your skin. However, it is not tight enough to stop blood circulation. On the contrary, it enhances the blood flow to allow the injury to heal faster than normal.
- It is suitable for people with different types of sports such as basketball, volleyball, and baseball, to name a few.
- It provides proper support and comfort without compromising on the blood circulation to help your injury heal fast.
- There is a size for all and the special knitted technical design fits various joints with ease.
- Some users may not be able to find a suitable size.
- It may prove to be quite tight initially.
Active Ankle T2 Brace
Unlike most other rigid ankle braces in the market, the Active T2 is a dual rigid brace especially designed for volleyball players, who have to jump all the time. It is durable in nature and very easy to fit with just a single strap. It is easily adjustable for both low and high top shoes. The Active T2 comes with a feather-light EVA padding that clings onto every contour of your ankle. It is designed in such a way that it provides ultimate protection and performance even though it is less bulky and sleek in design. Even if you do not have any current ankle injuries, but have experienced one in the past that has made your ankle weak, you can still use this product to provide proper support to your injured ankle.
- It is designed in a sleek fashion and is not as bulky as most other ankle braces found in the market.
- It provides dal rigidity for ultimate ankle protection and support.
- The rigidity is such that some users may experience pain while walking with the braces.
- The foot plate and straps may break after a few months of use.
ASO Ankle Stabilizer
This ankle brace is made with a combination of cotton and nylon. The specially designed stabilizing straps form a complete and proper figure-eight to provide proper ankle support and protection. The ballistic nylon boot is highly durable and strong even if you use it in a rough manner. The elastic cuff closure boosts ankle support and also helps to keep the various stabilizing straps and laces secure. The lace, on the other hand, is attached to the tongue of the brace to ensure that it remains centered all the time. The ASO Ankle Stabilizer comes in a bilateral design so that the same brace can support both left and right ankle as per your needs. It can also fit inside any type of footwear.
- It is highly durable in nature.
- It can easily be worn inside any type of footwear.
- Bilateral design enables you to wear the same brace on either ankle depending on the injury location.
- People with small feet may find it difficult to use this product.
- May not provide proper support to some forms of ankles.
Liomor Ankle Support
When it comes to ankle braces, you certainly cannot ignore Liomor Ankle Support. It features ultra-strong support which is due to the crisscross reinforcement straps that help to provide additional stabilization and support to your injured ankle. Although it is designed to reduce the risks of sustaining an ankle injury during any vigorous activities, it is useful to help you with various symptoms associated with serious injuries and edema. This ankle brace is made with high quality elastic and moisture wicking material. It also has perforation designs that help in proper air circulation to get rid of perspiration and bacteria from breeding inside. You can easily maintain a dry and odorless foot even after wearing it for a long time. The open heel design allows you to move your feet in any position while providing proper support to your joints and tendons.
- The perforated design allows proper air circulation that helps to keep your feet nice and dry and also prevents the breeding of bacteria.
- The open heel design lets you move your feet in any position while enjoying the support of the brace.
- It comes with ultra-strong support with reinforcement straps for additional comfort and support.
- The level of support around the ankle region may not be sufficient for some users.
- The open heel area may hurt if the size does not fit your feet.
McDavid Ankle Brace Support
This ankle brace is made out of a single layer polyester fabric that provides complete support to your ankle and with minimal weight. It comes with a figure-6 strapping pattern that stimulates an athletic tape usually used by athletes who have to jump all the time and face a huge possibility of an ankle injury. The top strap is basically for compression comfort to allow users enjoy a comfortable fit. You can adjust it properly without having to remove your shoes or unlacing the support. The ventilated tongue allows air circulation to prevent perspiration and the growth of bacteria. You will also find padded lining inside the product.
- You can adjust the support without having to unlace it or remove your shoes.
- It provides full support to your injured ankle due to the single layered polyester fabric used to make the product.
- Air circulation is possible due to the presence of ventilated tongue.
- People with wide feet may find it difficult to use it.
Our Top Ankle Brace Pick
Amongst all those discussed above the ASO Ankle Stabilizer (CHECK BEST PRICE HERE) is the best for all types of ankle injuries. It is both durable and bilateral in design that allows you to use the same brace on either ankle. We hope you enjoyed our guide to the Best Ankle Braces.