Best Mountain Bikes Under 1000
Schwinn Mountain Bikes
Highest Quality – Schwinn Protocol 1.0 Men’s Mountain Mike
Best Womens Schwinn Mountain Bikes
Mongoose Mountain Bikes
Your Guide in Choosing Suitable Mountain Bikes
You must have witnessed big sized cars driven in rough terrains by expert drivers on video. The way these drivers make these cars climb big rocks and other difficult terrains have surprised many viewers. Did you know that there are cyclists who do similar things on cycles? These are special bikes known as mountain bikes. Riding a bike in your neighborhood is one thing and climbing hilly terrains on bikes is another. The latter may sound very simple to you. On the contrary, it is one of the toughest things you can ever try in your life. If you are planning to buy a mountain bike, then it is very important that you first learn how to ride one. Unless you master the trick to control such a bike on rough terrains, you will not be able to enjoy riding a mountain bike.
Tips To Choose the Right One
If you ask any professional mountain cyclist, you will be told that choosing a mountain bike is an art. Unless you know everything about such a bike, you will not be able to make the right choice. Here are some tips to help you choose the best mountain bike as per your needs.
- Power To Perform: You should know that a mountain bike is not the one on which you ride along casually in your neighborhood. A good quality mountain bike should be able to overcome rough terrains such as stony paths, downhill or uphill courses, shallow rivers, and mud covered paths, to name few. If you go to shop for such a bike, ensure that it is capable of dealing with such terrains with ease. If this is not the case, then investing your hard earned money on the product will be a sheer waste.
- Frame: In order to cover tough terrains a mountain bike should have a sturdy frame. If the frame of the bike is not durable enough, then it will falter badly while travelling through rough paths. Check the metal used to manufacture the frame. Always choose a mountain bike which has a frame made of steel or alloys or a combination of both. Also make a note of the type of suspension used in the bike. Full suspension or dual suspension bikes are always the best.
- The Brake System: Since a mountain bike is used to cover rough terrains, it is crucial for the bike to have good quality braking systems. A good bike should always have a linear pull brake in order to enable the bike to stop properly. However, if you are looking for a better model, then always choose one which comes with disc brakes. Some also have hydraulic disc brakes to help a bike come to a complete standstill. You should always practice compete stops before you choose a good quality mountain bike. This is because a stronger brake will always bring the bike to a complete stop faster than normal.
- Shifters and Gears: Just like a motor bike or a car, mountain bikes also come with gears and shifters. This allows the biker to adapt to different biking terrains and change the power and speed accordingly. Always choose a bike which comes with a durable shifter. If the shifter is weak then it may not be able to sustain the constant changing of gears.
- Wheels: It is needless to say that bigger wheels of your mountain bike will help you cross rocky terrain easier and faster. However, when it comes to balance, smaller wheels score above the bigger ones. Thus, it is important for you to know the terrain well enough to assist you in choosing the proper and most suitable wheel size.
Health Benefits of Using a Mountain Bike
Casual cycling has a lot of health benefits, which you probably know about already. Whether you wish to improve your cardiovascular conditions or lose body weight or attain stronger muscles, casual cycling is considered to be one of the best forms of exercises. However, if you wish to take it further to the next level, then mountain cycling is the best solution. There are several health benefits of using a mountain bike.
- Improves Cardiovascular Fitness: When it comes to improving the fitness of your cardiovascular system, cycling is one of the best answers. However, with the help of mountain cycling, you can take the fitness further to an all new level. The use of different types of gears on your bike, the riding terrain and overall structure of your bike will make your heart pump with more vigor. It is said that mountain cycling can improve the fitness of your heart by a whopping 3% to 7%. This will decrease the chances of you facing heart attacks in the days to come.
- Build Muscles: Riding through muddy paths and rocky roads on your mountain bike also helps to build your muscles. Upon regular cycling, the muscles around your thighs, legs, and hips improve and also strengthen tremendously.
- Improve Stamina: After days of casual cycling do you feel that you need to improve your stamina level further? Then the best solution is mountain cycling. Going uphill and downhill paths will natural boost your stamina and also improve your body coordination. This is simply because mountain cycling requires the use of different parts of your body.
- Get Rid Of Depression And Stress: It is quite natural that with a proper and improved blood circulation in your body, you will feel less depressed and stressed in your daily life. You will find it easier to concentrate more on your work and also feel happy with within.
Stay Away From Casual Mistakes
Buying anything for the first time is a bit tricky. This is especially true with people who are not too sure about what they want in the product they plan to purchase. It has been noticed that many people make casual mistakes while shopping for mountain bikes. However, it is very simple to avoid such errors, if you are aware of them.
- Adequate Research Work Is Important: Whether you wish to purchase a mountain bike or something else, it is very important that you do your homework about the product. Find out about the features, the different models available in the market, the prices, the various manufacturers, and the product reviews of a few models. Unless you find out about a new mountain bike, you will find it rather confusing to choose the right one. If needed, you may also ask one of your friends, who does mountain cycling, to go along with you.
- Do Not Buy From The First Store You Come Across: There are many people who buy a mountain bike from the first store they come across. It is better to avoid such casual errors. Always visit a few stores and check their products, as well as, the price tags. Different stores may have different price tags for the same type of mountain cycle. If you buy a bike from the first store, then you may miss out on a good deal from some other store.
- Take Recommendation But Do Not Follow Blindly: It is good to seek recommendation about mountain bikes from others. The more recommendation you have, the more you will come to know about options available to you. However, do not make the mistake of following the recommendation blindly. Always take the right decision based upon your homework. The bike suitable for your friend may not be suitable for you.
- Try A Few Models And Then Choose: As discussed above, there are several models available for mountain bikes. As a first timer, you may not know the right model for you right away. This is why it is always better to try a few models and decide for yourself. Trying the bikes will give you proper idea about the model to choose for your personal use.
Maintain Your Mountain Bike Properly
Any machinery or equipment, used for a long time, requires proper maintenance on a regular basis. If you fail to do so, then your mountain bike may not remain in its peak condition for long. Here are some tips to help you in such matters.
- Clean Regularly: Regular cleaning of your mountain bike is a must in order to ensure its proper condition. You may use a sponge or a clean towel to do so. Make sure that you clean the chain, the entire frame, brakes, and pedals. A gentle spraying of water will do the trick for you. You may also take off the seat from its post and clean the area. Use a good quality grease to lubricate the area and put the seat back in its proper place.
- Check the Brakes: Go downhill at a good speed only to find that your mountain brakes are not working. The mere thought probably made goosebumps run down your spine, right? It is needless to say that brakes are one of the most important parts of your mountain bike. It is vital to keep it in proper working condition all the time. This is why always check the brake pads on a daily basis. These are the rectangular pads made of rubber or metal, which rub against the disc to make your bike come to a stop. These often wear out and replacements are necessary.
- Check the Rims: A good quality rim will always provide the bike with proper balance and stability. Upon regular drive over rough terrains the rims may get a bit wobbly. The best way to check the rims I to pick the bike at a height and rotate the wheels with your hand. If the wheels wobble then the rims are not in shape. Better get the rims fixed before you start using the bike again.
- Check the Tires: The tires of your mountain bike take the bulk of the beating. This is why it is very important to take care of the tires on a daily basis. Check for any leaks in the tube and also the condition of the outer rubberized layer. Check the side walls of the tires for any sort of damages and also the treads. Damaged tires can easily burst, which may make you lose control. This may even be fatal.
- Lubricate The Chain: As you drive along dusty and rocky terrains, these dust particles may get accumulated on the chain. If not taken care on a regular basis, these dust particles may render the chain useless. This is why it is very important to lubricate the chain regularly. Once lubrication with oil or grease is done, do not forget to remove any excess oil with the help of a dry piece of cloth. Wear gloves in order to avoid any cuts to your fingers while working on the chain.
If you have a motor bike or a car, you will know that maintaining it properly is crucial for the machine. This is also true for mountain bikes. The more care you take of your bike, the longer it will work for you. However, if you notice something seriously wrong with your bike, better take it to a mechanic as soon as possible. It is better to fix a problem at its earlier stage. If you ignore it, then it may get serious with time and prove to be dangerous for you.
Many of you may find it difficult to decide which dealer to choose in order to buy a mountain bike. You may as some of your friends, who already use such bikes. On the other hand, you may visit the websites of the different manufacturers. They will have a list of their licensed sellers of their products. Always take your time in choosing a good quality mountain bike. Since you will use your hard earned money to buy one, taking hasty decisions, while choosing the right one, may not be a good idea. After all, it is for your own use and a good bike will also prove to be a good investment.