Stress has become a common thing in this modern era. You will seldom find a person who leads a stress free life. The only ones free from stress are small kids. Although you may eventually feel accustomed to stress, it is very important that you do something in order to get rid of it once and for all from your life. According to experts, the best way to get rid of stress and also to avoid it in the future is to meditate. Regular and proper meditation can help both your mind and body to achieve peace and happiness from within. In order to get the most out of your meditation, it is rather important that you sit in a comfortable position and feel relaxed while you meditate. You should leave behind all your woes and tensions when you sit in one place to meditate.
What Are Meditation Cushions?
In order to sit in a comfortable position, it is important that you use a specially designed meditation cushion. Most of you may have heard about it. However, very few of you probably know about meditation cushions. These are usually round shaped and filled with either kapok or buckwheat hull, which provide utmost relaxation to the human body when you sit on the cushions. These products are also capable of supporting your spine in the right way. Sitting on a meditation cushion can help you avoid any type of physical pain in your back, knee, or other joints. Thus, it helps you meditate peacefully and for longer hours with ease.
Reasons to Use Meditation Cushions
Unlike common beliefs, meditation cushions are rather useful in several ways. There are multiple reasons to use one if you wish to meditate in order to improve the overall condition of your health and mind. These reasons have been discussed below for your information.
- Get Rid Of Physical Pains: Sitting in a still position at the same place for a long time may give rise to various types of physical pains. Your knees may start aching and your back will get sore. Your feet may also go to sleep and this may pose a problem when you decide to get up and start walking. However, using a meditation cushion can easily help you get rid of such physical pains. These cushions are designed to provide utmost comfort to a user and they also support the natural curve of your spinal cord.
- Improve Posture: Sitting on the floor for long hours may often result in damaging the natural posture of your body. The best way to avoid such things from happening is to use a meditation cushion. Although it may take you some time to get accustomed to the cushion, it can go a great distance in helping you get back the normal posture. Sitting on the cushion will help strengthen your back muscles, since it does not come with any back support.
- Double Up As Yoga Props: Although meditation cushions are especially designed to help you meditate peacefully and in a comfortable position, it can also be used as yoga prop. It can help support your lower back and your knees while performing various types of yoga postures.
What about the Maintenance of the Cushion?
Meditation cushions do not require any type of assembly. You can simply take out of the package and start using it almost immediately. However, when it comes to the question of maintaining it, you do not have to spend much time in the process. If you have meditation cushions with zipper covers then take out the cover on a regular basis and wash it separately in cold water. Simply hang it to dry and do not use a dryer to dry the cushion cover. In order to get rid of any stains, simply dab the cover gently in warm water and do not make the mistake of rubbing it. You can do a spot clean to the maximum.
What about the Safety?
When it comes to using a meditation cushion you need not worry about the safety part. These cushions are extremely safe to use. However, in order to get the same level of comfort every time you use it, you need to get a new one from time to time. If you use a meditation cushion with kapok, then you may often feel a bit wobbly sometimes while using it. This may also happen when some of the areas of the cushion may form lumps or get uneven due to regular usage. Using such a cushion can get very uncomfortable. However, when you use a buckwheat hull, some of you may feel it to be a bit hard. Sitting on such a cushion may seem almost similar to sitting on a firm surface such as sand. Moving on a buckwheat hull cushion may seem uncomfortable for some since it makes a sound every time you move or shift your weight around on the cushion.
5 Of the Best Meditation Cushions
The market is filled with various types of meditation cushions. However, not every type is equally comfortable and enjoys a great customer feedback. Here are 5 of the best and highly rated meditation cushions, which are really very comfortable to use.
Peace Yoga Zafu Meditation Cushion: Meditation is all about peace and comfort. Unless your mind is at peace and your body is extremely comfortable, you will not be able to meditate properly. Sore muscles and aching bones are common reasons for people to disrupt their meditation. Doing your daily meditation on the Peace Yoga Zofu Meditation Cushion will help you get relieved from stress and hard floors. It will also help support your spine. The best part about using this cushion is that it can also double up as your yoga block to help you do yoga poses. This product comes with a fully zip cotton cover which can easily be removed and washed in your machine. It also has a grab-and-go handle which will allow you to carry it along with you wherever you go. This pillow has buckwheat hull as its core and is a perfect balance of pliability and firmness. This pillow is also available in multiple colors.
- It is basically a two-in-one cushion. It can be used both as a meditation cushion and a yoga block.
- It comes with a handle which allows you to carry it along with you.
- The cover is easily removable and washable in your machine.
- It is slightly smaller than you may expect it to be.
Reehut Zafu Yoga Meditation Bolster Pillow: First things first, this meditation cushion is available in 3 different sizes. These are 12 inches diameter x 4.5 inches tall, 13 inches diameter x 4.5 inches tall, and 16 inches diameter x 4.5 inches tall. This pillow also comes with a strong carry handle to let you carry it around. The buckwheat hull is sealed in a pouch inside the pillow to let you take it out easily and put it back inside. The full zip cover is made of cotton and can easily be washed and removed. No matter how tough your yoga poses are or how long you meditate, this cushion can provide ultimate comfort and helps relieve stress from your muscles and joints. It also supports your spine in the correct position.
- It is available in multiple sizes.
- The cover is made of cotton and is a full zip cover. Can easily be removed and washed.
- Good to use while you meditate and do yoga.
- The pouch that seals the buckwheat hull can sometimes tear open if mishandled.
Zofu Yoga Meditation Pillow: Another highly popular meditation cushion is the Zofu Yoga Meditation Pillow. It is suitable for all levels of meditation and yoga. This cushion is completely different from the rest of the meditation cushions you find in the market. The buckwheat hull used in this product is grown in the USA and completely hygienic. These cushions are available in both round and crescent shapes. These are available in several vibrant colors burgundy, grass, saffron, and black. There is a carry along handle that also hides the durable zipper that keeps the husks safe inside. You have the advantage of opening the zipper and removing some of the husks when you wish to make the cushion less full. These pillows are overstuffed on purpose so that you, as the user, can create the right level as per your requirement. These products are available in 14 inches diameter x 6 inches tall.
- The best part about this product is that it comes overstuffed with buckwheat husks so that yu can alter it as per your needs.
- It is available in vibrant colors and 2 different shapes.
- The husks inside are not contained in a separate bag. It can pose a problem when you decide to wash it.
- It may be too small for some users with a big body frame.
- The husks can easily burst out is mishandled.
Buckwheat Hull Filled Yoga Meditation Cushion: These cushions are crescent shaped and available in multiple sizes such as 17 inches in diameter by 5 inches tall and 15 inches in diameter and 5.5 inches tall. This cushion is filled with 100% natural buckwheat hulls that provides sturdiness and durability. It molds itself according to your posture and gives you a comfortable seat to meditate peacefully. The cover is made of 100% handmade cotton which comes with a zipper. This makes it very simple for you to take it off and wash it in your machine. Available in different sizes, colors, and shapes to suit your flexibility and shape. These cushions are ergonomically designed to help align your spin in the right way and get rid of strain from your muscles. It also helps to improve your body posture after regular use.
- It is available in multiple shapes and sizes.
- It is ergonomically designed to help your posture and ease out any muscular strain or pain.
- It is stuffed with 100% natural buckwheat husks and comes with a lifetime guarantee.
- This pillow comes with tiny bugs inside which can prove to be a headache when you unzip it to wash the product.
Zafu Meditation Cushion: Meditation is important to help your mind and body get rid of all the stress from the daily lifestyles. However, in order to meditate properly and peacefully, you have to ensure that your body is seated in a comfortable position. The Zafu Meditation Cushion ensures just that and much more. It is suitable for both yoga postures and meditation purposes. It is available in the traditional round, as well as, oval shapes. The cover is made with eco-friendly cotton and filled with buckwheat husks grown in the USA. You can easily remove the fill and refill it whenever you feel the need. It comes with a carry handle and the cover can be removed for washing purposes. It is available in 13 inches in diameter by 6 inches tall for the round shaped cushion and 18 inches for the oval shaped one.
- It is available in multiple colors such as purple, black, aqua, natural, lime, and hemp black, to name a few.
- It comes with a carry handle for easy portability and can be washed very easily.
- The stitching can come apart after a few uses and the zipper can also get damaged.
Reehut Zafu Yoga Meditation Bolster Pillow is the clear winner amongst all those discussed above. Although the pouch containing the husks can tear apart if mishandled, that can easily be taken care of by using it the right way. It comes in multiple sizes suitable for all types of users. It can be used for yoga postures and to meditate peacefully. If you wish to buy a new meditation cushion for your personal use, it is always better to read most of the customer feedback before you choose the right one. This will help you choose the best and meditate peacefully and comfortably.