Best Nootropics Under $50 for 2018
In the modern, busy world, nothing less than top performance is acceptable. You are expected to be able to think fast and be ready all the time. This is true both in the present-day corporate world of endless innovation and in the day-to-day life of a regular student.
It is hard to accomplish everything on your plate, and not get completely burned-out. If you are having trouble keeping up, consider nootropics, also known as smart drugs. They may be the right solution, giving you that small boost you need to stay up front.
In this article, we will present you what are in our opinion five Best Nootropic Under 50. But first, we will try to explain a thing or two about them, helping you make the choice. Stay tuned.
What Are Nootropics?
In short nootropics are smart drugs. The primary purpose of a smart drug is enhancing cognitive functions. They benefit your brain in many ways- nootropics increase focus, memory, mood, and they can even slightly boost your intelligence.
As you can see, those benefits can be useful in almost any industry. And not only intellectual work- imagine a truck driver who is supposed to be concentrated 16 hours straight on a boring road. And we don’t have to mention students, who are supposed to finish all their assignments while not neglecting their social life.
People have been using different methods for centuries to increase their cognitive performance for ages. Although younger than coffee, nootropics are around for a while- the first one was synthesized 50 years ago. However, they dramatically rose in popularity over the last 5-10 years as more and more people try to chase their Silicon Valley dreams.
What Nootropics Are Not?
Nootropics will improve your cognitive performance. In other words, if you already aren’t, you won’t become an Einstein, nor Elon Musk. But, they will improve your focus, memory, etc., allowing you to reach up your maximum potential, and go slightly beyond that.
One more thing- if you want nootropics to work for you, you need to work. And work hard. Taking the pill is not enough, they are designed to supplement your effort, not to substitute it. Taking a smart drug without giving 100% is like taking a pre-workout without actually working out – pointless.
How Do Nootropics Work?
There are many different kinds of nootropics, and it is tough to generalize, they all have slightly different effects on our CNS. Some improve the brain oxygen flow, others stimulate the nerve growth, or raise the brain’s acetylcholine level. They have similar goals and effects -increased memory, focus, mood, to give you more energy.
How Should I Use Nootropics?
Again, we can’t generalize, they are all different. But, some principles do apply:
- Start gradually- many people read guides and “pro tips” online, nootropic cycles of some successful entrepreneurs, and they dive headfirst into the nootropic world, copying whole stacks. While this may be effective, it is more often than not counterproductive- by taking several pills at the same time, you will not be able to tell which one is actually having the most effect, and which one is causing the most side-effects. And additionally, like with any drugs- you should take the minimal amount that can do the job for you. Not doing this will maybe have an extra “kick” on your system, but can cause health complications, and will increase your tolerance to the drug much faster. So in the beginning, don’t “stack” too many different pills, try them one by one, to feel out the effect.
- Be patient- unless you are taking an “instant” nootropic, you will have to wait for full effects. Some nootropics need days, other even weeks until they reach an effective level in your system. That is why it is important to plan ahead- one day before the test is not enough for most nootropics. Also, don’t rush to increase the dosage- carefully read the labels and instructions, and if you still think it is not working, increase the dose slightly, but only after the expected “full-effect” period has passed.
- Pick a purpose- we have already mentioned how people tend to take nootropics, and then not do anything while the effects last. Don’t be one of those people taking pills for the sake of taking pills- use nootropics, and work even harder. But, choose nootropics for specific purposes too. Although most generally have positive effects on cognitive functions, each has a slightly different effect- some are better for focus, some for improving memory, others are best for enhancing mood or boosting your energy. The jack of all trades is a master of none, so try to narrow down an essential effect you want from your nootropic- it will make the choice easier too.
- We are all different- people react to stimulants and supplements in different ways. What works for your friends, might not work for you, and vice versa. It might take a few trials and errors before you find the right nootropic for you.
Let’s be real, all drugs have side-effects. The problem with nootropics is that most of the time, you are taking several different pills- increasing the chance of side-effects. And the second problem is that if the side-effects did occur, while you took several pills, it will be hard to tell which one caused them. That is why you should go the safer route- choosing the smallest “working” dosage, and starting simple, with not too many pills in the mix. Always try the popular nootropics first- if so many people use them, they must be efficient and trustworthy. These are some more or less common side effects nootropics might cause:
- Headache- your brain is (suddenly) working on overdrive, and sometimes it can’t cope up, resulting in headaches. This is the most common side effect. Adding Choline to your diet (or taking a nootropic that contains it) should fix headaches.
Insomnia- overstimulating your CNS can result in insomnia. You can use this effect- to pull an all-nighter before the test, but it is usually something you want to avoid. Try to take your nootropics as early as possible (if not prescribed differently). Especially those containing caffeine should be avoided in the evening.
- Stomach problems- nausea and diarrhea can appear if you are taking too much nootropics of various kinds. Your stomach and bowels can get irritated. If that happens, the best strategy is to cut back on your dosage.
- There are other, less common symptoms too. But these are tied to individual nootropics, so make sure you read the labels carefully and watch out for side effects. Nootropics are not dangerous, but if things get out of control, ask for medical help.
5 Best Nootropics Under $50
Zhou Nutrition Energy + Focus
Caffeine has been used to improve cognitive performance for centuries. In fact, you are probably drinking coffee as a daily habit anyway. Although on its own it has some definite benefits- we all love that morning energy boost- it also has some disadvantages. Jitters and nervousness can be tolerated, but the main problem is crashing – you will either repeat the dosage (growing your tolerance, and making each less effective), or you will become quite useless, even worse than before you took caffeine.
Zhou Nutrition has a solution- Caffeine with L-Theanine for Smooth Energy & Focus promises to give you all the benefits of caffeine with zero side-effects. L-theanine is responsible for neutralizing negative effects of caffeine. You will get the same “kick”, unleashing your top performance, but without jitters, nausea and crashes. In fact, L-Theanine will have additional, calming effect on your mood. So two opposite effects – energizing and calming- in the same pill.
Caffeine with L-Theanine for Smooth Energy & Focus is all natural, without any artificial sweeteners, added calories, preservatives, and this is why we think it is an excellent alternative to your regular coffee or energy drinks.
- Simple yet effective formula
- No jitters, nausea, crashes
- If you are a caffeine addict, you might find these pills not as effective
Caffeine is a great supplement because it works, and many nootropics contain it. But unfortunately, it is not for everyone- for people who are not tolerant to caffeine side effects outweigh the potential benefits. But don’t worry, there are caffeine-free nootropics that are excellent and effective, and will boost your performance without those side-effects. NeuroIgnite is one of them.
You can find several natural ingredients in this product, including bacopa, St John’s Wort, and Ginkgo Biloba. Gingko Biloba is a tree, native to China, famous for its effects on cognitive functions, especially on memory and attention. Bacopa enhances neuron transmission, while St John’s wort improves your mood. These plants combined have a long-lasting effect- you only need to take one pill per day. NeuroIgnite is made in the USA, formulated under strict regulations of FDA, and tested by independent parties, making it completely safe. It is clinically proven to boost your mood, increase focus, clarity, and concentration and raise your natural energy levels. All that without caffeine, and its notorious side-effects.
- Natural ingredients- Gingko Biloba, St John’s Wort, Bacopa
- Improves mood, boosts energy, focus, and memory
- Only 1 Pill Per Day
- Milder effect than some caffeinated supplements
Genius burn has a unique formula. This is not only a nootropic but also a fat-burner. So if you are looking for a smart drug, but you also want to lose some weight, consider trying Genius Burn.
This nootropic has been clinically tested, and all nine core ingredients are proven to benefit both cognitive performance, and fat-loss. Genius Burn is also caffeine-free, making it a sound choice for people intolerant to this stimulant. Cognizin, AlphaSize, and TeaCrine are main ingredients responsible for improving memory, focus, and clarity, and for protecting your brain from free radicals. Other ingredients in this excellent formula will enhance your overall mood by reducing stress and anxiety, thus lowering food cravings. Also, TeaCrine is a direct substitute for caffeine- it will give you the “kick” part of caffeine, but without the “crash” part. And since it has no caffeine, Genius Burn won’t interfere with your regular coffee intake or pre-workout supplements. And caffeine-free also means it won’t create an addiction. Sensoril Ashwagandha is the ingredient responsible for reducing your stress and improving mood.
- Nootropic+fat burner
- Clinically tested, scientifically proven
- Unique, clean formula
- No caffeine
- Can cause headaches
If you are looking for an all-natural, caffeine-free nootropic, that is also clinically tested, certified and FDA approved, then maybe Neuro Spark is for you.
Unlike most other nootropics, with an unknown or shady origin, Neuro Spark is made in the United States, formulated in an FDA registered facility, following GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) standards, using non-GMO ingredients. It has a unique blend of ingredients common to the nootropics industry- Ginkgo (helps concentration and alertness), St. John’s Wort (mood-booster, stress-reliever, promotes deep-sleep), Bacopa (powerful memory-booster), L-Glutamine (improves brain blood flow, and communication between neurons), and other all-natural ingredients.
The results are feelable, and the effect lasting- you only need to take one pill per day. Additionally, to naturally boosting your energy, improving your memory, mood, and focus, this product won’t cause nervousness and jitters, as some other, caffeine based nootropics would. You will be able to go through your day stress-free, without crashing in the early afternoon or random side-effects.
Overall, we feel like Neuro Spark is a reliable formula, proven and tested, and think that you should consider trying it yourself.
- All-natural ingredients, Non-GMO
- Good blend- St. John’s Wort, Ginkgo Biloba, Bacopa, L-Glutamine
- FDA, GMP certified, USA made
- Caffeine-free- no jitters, nervousness, crashing
- Takes a while before it starts having effect
Fused Focus is caffeine-based, but its unique formula overcomes the common side-effects this stimulant triggers- no nausea, jitters, nervousness, and no crashing. But, all the positive effects of caffeine are present- you will feel energized, it will boost your clarity and memory. Fused Focus increases brain circulation, releasing constant energy throughout the whole day.
But Fused Focus is not just caffeine- other carefully selected ingredients include Theacrine, Bacopa, Alpha-GPC, Gingko. The formula is combined for extended lasting. Caffeine alone will give you a two-hour kick, but when combined with other ingredients, it will extend the effect to six hours. Also, Theacrine won’t cause increased heart rate nor high blood pressure. Furthermore, Fused Focus is designed against habituation- the effect will not dim as you continue using it daily. This nootropic is especially suitable for athletes and gym-rats, as it gets along remarkably well with pre-workouts.
Fused Focus is 100% USA made, and independently tested. It is a unique, potent formula, a blend of powerful ingredients that are known to work, and that is why we like and recommend it.
- Strong effect
- Good formula, well-known ingredients
- USA made
- Not suitable for people intolerant to caffeine
Nootropics are becoming increasingly popular, and new brands storm the market on a daily basis., It is becoming hard to separate good products from the rest, especially in the low-price tier. That does not mean you are not going to find any valid nootropics for under $50; it just means you have to be a little bit more careful when browsing.
It has a simple formula, which is always good, and it just works. The positive effects of caffeine are kept, while the negative ones are nullified by L-Theanine, resulting in a potent formula, with quite long-lasting effects. We warmly recommend this product, if you are caffeine tolerant. It will give you all you need to get through a hard day, boosting your energy and focus levels, enhancing memory and improving mood, without jitters and nervousness.