“Health is Wealth” is probably one of the most commonly heard English proverbs you will ever come across in your entire life. It is true that without a proper health, you will not be able to lead a normal life. You may spend hours at office to climb up the corporate ladder. However, if your health does not support you, all your efforts will go down the drain. You will come across numerous suggestions to enjoy a healthy life. Some will suggest yoga, some will suggest you to follow a proper diet, some will ask you to go to the gym every day, and some will also suggest some health drinks to help your overall health improve over time.
When it comes to health drinks, the options are simply breathtaking. It is just like diving into an ocean full of health drinks to search for the one which will be the best option for you. Some may opt for green tea, some like to have beet juice, other may prefer lemon juice or hot chocolate or low fat milk or even pomegranate juice. However, very few of you probably know about the health benefits of having black cherry juice. Although, the benefits may not be known to many, it is true that black cherry juice is indeed helpful for your health in several ways.
What Are Black Cherries?
Black cherry is also known as Prunus Serotina. It usually a woody plant species and most common throughout North and South America. Some of the most common uses of black cherries is to make pies, jellies, and jams. However, these are also used to make specific types of ice creams and sodas. The wood of the black cherry plant is basically used for smoking food.
What About The Health Benefits Of Black Cherry Juice?
It is true that not many researches have been carried out when it comes to the health benefits of black cherry juice. Nonetheless, there are certain ingredients in the fruit which prove useful for a wide range of health issues. Here are some of the health benefits of regular consumption of black cherry juice.
- Reduces Pain From Gout And Arthritis: As you grow old, it is quite common for you to experience pain in some of the prime joints of your body such as your knees and shoulders. Such pain are usually the result of gout and arthritis. It has been tested to find out that black cherries have the power to reduce inflammation. As the level of inflammation in your body increases, your body starts experiencing unbearable pains. Most of you may not be too aware about the term gout. This is basically a type of arthritis primarily caused by the buildup of uric acid in your body. As a result of this, your joints begin to inflame and give rise to pains. According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, if you can have 8 to 16 ounces of black cherry juice for 2 weeks, it can reduce gout attacks considerably.
Reduce Muscle Soreness Caused By Exercises: There are many of you who prefer to exercise for long hours. Although it is good in a way for your body, it can also give rise to muscle soreness. It is seen that anthocyanins present in black cherries can help reduce inflammation in your body. This means that when it comes to reducing muscle soreness, this ingredient will also be useful. There have been numerous studies conducted in this area. One study has proved that cherry supplements, that usually have the anti-inflammatory content similar to 100 cherries, help to reduce muscle soreness by almost
- 24% within a time span of 2 days. another test has proved that black cherry juice, when consumed 7 days prior to a strenuous running event and also during the session, can help reduce muscle soreness.
- Gets Rid Of Migraine: Migraine is probably one of the worst causes of headaches faced by people from all across the world. It is also caused by inflammation and regular consumption of black cherry juice can help get rid of migraine once and for all. This is possible due to the presence of anti-inflammatory ingredients in black cherries. According to Mercola, along with reducing inflammation in your body, bioflavonoids and anthocyanin also help get rid of headaches caused by migraine. These 2 compounds are said to have similar activity in your body as ibuprofen and aspirin.
- Improves The Quality Of Sleep: It is very important for you to sleep in order to help your body get its much needed rest. Proper sleep not just helps you to relax it also helps your mind to get rid of stress and depression causing factors. As per an article by Forbes, cherries are one of those rare foods on earth which have melatonin in a natural form. Most of you may not be aware of melatonin. This is the chemical that is responsible for controlling the internal clock of your body. It plays a vital role in regulating the sleep patterns. According to researchers, it is always a good idea to have cherries an hour before going to bed for best results. Your body has a natural tendency of absorbing the melatonin inside. Thus, increasing the intake through regular consumption of cherries can improve your sleep considerably.
- Fights Cancer: Cancer is probably one of the biggest reasons for deaths in every corner of the planet. These are caused by cancerous cells present in your body. There are several types of cancers such as blood cancer, brain cancer, lung cancer, and breast cancer to name a few. Black cherries are rich in antioxidants. One of the primary uses of antioxidants is to fight cancer. The free radicals present in your body have a natural tendency of damaging your cells. Free radicals are mostly a result of environmental toxins and the damages caused by them can easily boost the risk of cancer in your body. Queritrin, a flavonoid commonly found in cherries, is one of the strongest anti-cancer agent. If you can include cherries in your daily diet, it will mean that cancer fighting agents are entering your blood stream and this will result in a decrease in you suffering from cancer in the future.
- Helps To Maintain A Healthy Skin And Hair: It is needless to say that cherries are extremely rich in antioxidants, minerals, and vitamins. As a result of this, it is highly beneficial for your skin and hair. Most of you probably spend hours taking proper steps to maintain a proper internal body. However, it is also true that if you do not follow a proper and balanced diet, your skin and hair quality will go from bad to worse. Proper intake of vitamins and minerals help improve the quality of your skin and hair. It is also true that shortage of iron in your blood is one of the major causes of hair fall.
Weight Maintenance: According to an article by Fox News, consuming cherries on a regular basis can help you lose weight and remain thin. A cup of cherries is said to contain 3gms of fiber and less than 100 calories. It is needless to say that fiber is important to make you feel full for a longer time. Cherries also contain various types of B-vitamins that help to boost your
- metabolism and convert nutrients into energy. This proves that whenever you feel like having a snack, you can have black cherries. You can have it is several ways. You can add it to your smoothie or just pop in a few from a bowl full of cherries in your refrigerator.
- Lowers Your Blood Pressure: When it comes to lowering your blood pressure level, black cherries can do so naturally. The presence of potassium in cherries help lower the blood pressure level by regulating the amount of sodium in your blood. It is needless to say that excess sodium in your body will give rise to blood pressure problems. According to tests, a cup of cherry juice has equal amount of potassium as a banana. Just in case you are sick and tired of having a banana everyday with your breakfast, you can simply replace it with a cup of black cherry juice.
- Good for The Heart: It has been tested that black cherries can easily prevent the damages caused to the artery walls resulting in a healthy heart. The anti-inflammatory ingredients in cherries cause the blood to flow smoothly through the blood vessels, as a result of which, the arteries getting clogged is out of question. Melatonin, responsible for regulating sleep, is also helpful in keeping a check on the fat levels of the blood.
- Prevent Tooth Decay: You probably eat and drink a variety of things the entire day. Have you ever considered the fact that all the food you intake cause some level of damages to your teeth? If you do not take proper care of your teeth, these may soon leave your company. There are some compounds in black cherries that can easily inhibit the formation of plaque which can give rise to tooth decay and cavities.
- Anti-Ageing Benefits: As discussed above, free radicals present in your body play a pivotal role in damaging the cells of your body. Once the good and healthy cells are destroyed, you start generating various types of health issues and serious diseases such as cancer and ageing. The presence of anti-oxidants in black cherry help to reverse the damages caused by these free radicals and thus, provide anti-ageing benefits.
- Excellent Source of Vital Nutrients: Your body needs various types of nutrients to fight off harmful diseases and viruses with ease. These nutrients enter your body through the food you eat. It has been tested that black cherries contain a large variety of nutrients such as beta carotene, vitamin A, melatonin, iron, and phenols. These nutrients are helpful in preventing harmful diseases and maintaining good health for a long time.
Where Do You Find Black Cherry Juice?
Black cherry juice is easily available at most of the grocery stores. If you find it difficult to take out some time to shop from such stores, you can also find cherry juices on popular online shopping sites such as Amazon. Those of you who do not prefer to go the juice way may opt for cherry capsules. It is good for you to note here that cherry juices are usually available in concentrate forms. Thus, the best way to have them is to mix it with proper amount of water before you decide to consume it. Is mixing water too much of a headache for you? Simply go for a shot or two of the concentrated juice per day.
In order to lead a healthy life, most of you will be tempted to try various types of health drinks and foods. However, all of them will be equally beneficial is not true at all. Most of the newly introduced health drinks will claim to be highly beneficial in helping you fight harmful health issues. However, very few of them live up to the claims. When it comes to leading a disease free life, it is always a good idea to have a well-balanced diet, exercise regularly, and lead a disciplined life.
If you really have to consume a health drink, always try and find out about the pros and cons of the drink before you finally decide to have it. This will not just help you understand what to expect from the drink, it will also help you be ready to face any counter effects of the drink on your overall health. It is also a good idea to consult with a doctor before you decide to have a new health drink. This is especially true for those of you who are on medication for a long time. You never know which health drink may have some negative impacts on your health.