Best Elliptical for Home in 2018
Elliptical Machines are a very popular piece of workout equipment that people want in their home gym. Let’s face it, we do not always have time to get to the gym. So, being able to hop on your elliptical trainer at home is a convenient way to get a quick workout in.
In this guide, we break down the best options on the market for a number of different categories to help you make the best purchase decision on your search for the Best Elliptical.
Have a Budget in Mind? See our Top Rated Ellipticals pages that are based on price points:
- Best Elliptical Under 200
- Best Elliptical Under 300
- Best Elliptical Under 500
- Best Elliptical Under 700
- Best Elliptical Under 1000
- Best Elliptical Under 1500
Schwinn 430 Elliptical Machine
Elliptical Machines – Using One Can Help Improve Your Health in Many Ways
Do you drive a car? You probably know that your car has several parts which help the vehicle to run. However, if the clutch plate of your vehicle ceases to work, your car will run, but not as smoothly as before. On the other hand, if the engine ceases to work, your car will come to a standstill position and not move an inch. Similarly, your body is made up of several parts, which work in tandem to keep you alive and kicking. Your heart, brain, lungs, liver, hands, and legs are just a few of them. The heart is just like the engine of a car. If it stops beating you are practically dead. This is why it is very important to take good care of your heart. Cardio vascular exercises are the best solution to keep your heart fit and away from any problem.
There are several cardio exercises which you can perform in order to keep your heart strong. Walking long distance, jogging, and swimming are some of them. These are of very light nature. If you are keen to go for tougher ones, then using an elliptical machine should help you. These machines provide the best workout you can imagine and are quite low on impact and do not hurt your joints in any way. As far as burning those unwanted calories is concerned, elliptical trainers challenge both the lower and upper body.
Benefits of Using an Elliptical Trainer
Most of you must be wondering why use an elliptical machine when you can simply use the stairs to burn body fat. Here are some benefits of using this machine.
- Challenges Both The Upper And Lower Body: Using the stairs to get back in shape will mostly have a positive effect on the lower part of your body. It is important to include the upper part in your fat loss regime, as well. Using an elliptical trainer will work out your triceps, pectorals, and biceps in the upper section of your body. As far as the lower part is concerned, this machine will challenge your hamstrings, calves, quadriceps, and glutes. Thus, a complete work out of your entire body is achieved with the help of this machine.
- Quite Comfortable To Use: Do you often use the treadmill at home or in a nearby gym? While jogging on the treadmill, have you ever felt your feet take a pounding every time it lands on the belt? This repeated pounding effect is not felt when you use an elliptical trainer. On this machine, your feet never leaves the pedals. As a result of this, working out on this machine is a smoother, more comfortable, and quieter experience.
- Lose Weight Faster: Along with regular exercises on the elliptical machine, if you also start on a healthy diet, as well as, strength building exercises, you can soon lose those unwanted body fat. It is said that if you lose around 3500 calories, you can easily lose approximately 1 pound of body fat. With the proper combination of a balanced diet, strength training exercises and cardio exercises on the elliptical, you can soon see great results.
- Daily Usage Can Give You Long Lasting Results: If you perform cardio exercises on a daily basis, you can easily improve your immune system, reduce stress levels, get rid of any obesity related health issues, and feel happy all the time.
Points To Ponder Upon Before Buying the Right Elliptical Machine
There are several types of elliptical trainers available in the market. However, not all the models are equally popular and reliable. There are several factors to keep in your head when you go to shop for the right elliptical trainer. Here are some of the factors discussed.
- Your Personal Budget: Not every buyer of an elliptical trainer will have the same budget in mind. Those, who are wealthier than others, can opt for a costly one with several features. On the other hand, those, with a tight budget, can go for a cheaper model with the basic features. It is important to note that before you decide to shop for an elliptical machine, it is always better to do your research work on the various models and their prices. Also make a note of the features of these different types of trainers. This should help you a lot in chalking out a budget for such a machine.
- Your Requirement: This is another key factor to consider while shopping for an elliptical machine. Are you going to use it alone or will other members of your family also use it? Have you ever worked out on an elliptical before? Are you thinking of achieving higher goals in your fitness level? These are some of the questions you need to answer before deciding upon the right type. Basically, if you are new and have never exercised on an elliptical, then opting for a basic machine should be good enough for you. At the same time, if you have worked out on such machines in the past and wish to go for higher levels, then opting for a costlier on with more features will be a good idea.
- Available Space to Place the Machine: Another important factor to think about is the available space where you plan to place your new elliptical machine. It is good to note that there are some elliptical machines which are foldable and do not take up a lot of space. At the same time, there are some which are bigger in size and cannot be folded. If you shop for a machine which has the flywheel in front, then these will be bigger in size and cannot be transported very easily. On the other hand, if the flywheel is in front, the trainer will be smaller and can easily be transported. When you go to shop for an elliptical trainer, always carry along the measurements of the space where you plan to place the machine.
- The Console of The Machine: This factor is largely based upon personal preferences. If you love to listen to music or watch television while exercising, then you should consider this factor, as well. If you are opting to go for budget models, then you may expect just the device compatibility for users. This will allow you to listen to music while exercising on the elliptical trainer. However, if you wish to have internet access and other elite features in the machine, then opting for a top of the line model will be a good idea. While shopping for such machines, you will notice that not all the features are available in elliptical trainers made by different companies. Thus, find out about the features you need and also the companies which provide such features in their products before you go out to shop.
How to Use Your New and Personal Elliptical Trainer?
So, you think you know how to use an elliptical trainer just by observing its photograph on an ad somewhere? Well, you may think again. Although it may seem very simple to use the machine, in reality it is not so simple. There are several things you should remember while exercising on an elliptical.
- Stand Tall And Straight: Firstly, before you begin your exercises on an elliptical, make sure that you stand in an upright position with your head above your shoulders. At the same time, your shoulders should be over your hips. Do not slouch during your work out, since it may cause injury to your spinal cord.
- Hold On To The Handlebars Lightly: Many people make the mistake of holding on to the handlebars very hard during the work out. This is why they often feel fatigue in their hands after a very short span of time and ultimately lean on the machine while exercising. This is a very commonly made error while using an elliptical. If you lean on the machine while working out, the rate at which your fat burns in your body will decrease and with time give rise to back aches.
- Keep an Eye on the Speed: Revolutions per minute (RPM) or Strides per minute (SPM) are the usual measurements of speed in an elliptical. You may think that working out at great speeds will help you burn more amount of body fat at a faster pace. This is not entirely correct. When the speed is higher than required, the increased momentum does not allow all your muscles to get fully engaged in the workout. At the same time, exercising at great speeds on an elliptical can also prove to be dangerous at times.
Ideas to Maintain Your Elliptical Trainer
Since elliptical machines differ from each other, their maintenance requirements are also different. If you are a first time user of such a machine, then you may not know much about the maintenance bit of such machines. Here are ideas to help you in this regard.
- Wipe The Handlebars And Grips Regularly: Whenever you work out on an elliptical, you always use the handlebars and grips. They are one of those parts which receive the majority of the wear and tear of the machine. It will be a good thing to wipe these bars on a regular basis with the help of a wet piece of cloth. This will help you to get rid of any perspiration on the machine which may have dripped from your hands during your exercise routine.
- Check the Track: Since the machine runs on its tracks, it would be a good thing to keep it free from any type of debris. You can use the same piece of cloth to wipe the tracks or use a vacuum cleaner to get rid of any debris. Once having cleaned the tracks, you may have to lubricate it. However, for this you have to read the user manual. How often you need to lubricate the tracks is largely dependent upon its usage and model.
- Tighten All Screws and Check for Squeaking Noises: Upon regular use, some of the screws may get loose. It will be a good idea to tighten them on a regular basis to avoid any type of accidents in the long run. There may also be some squeaking sounds from some of the moving parts of the machine. If you can locate the source of the noise, try to lubricate it with grease or oil.
Where to Buy an Elliptical?
There are basically 2 options when it comes to shopping for an elliptical trainer.
- Stores: If you know a few good sports stores in town, you may visit them to check out on the type of elliptical trainers they have for you. Check the products on your own and also the prices. If you like a product, it is better to compare the rates at different stores before you decide to buy it.
- Online: Internet shopping has revolutionized the mere concept of shopping. You will find almost everything being sold online. If you are always busy, then you may shop online. You will find several types of elliptical machines in a good internet shopping website. However, just make sure that the site, you shop from, is reliable and reputed. Online shopping will give you great discounts and also get the product delivered at your doorstep.
Although using an elliptical trainer is a good idea, especially for people who seriously wish to get back in shape, maintaining it is also critical. Just like any other machine, an elliptical can also get defective after prolonged use. In such cases, instead of trying to repair it on your own, better seek professional help from an experienced mechanic. He will be in a better position to help you. With his expertise and use of right tools, he can get rid of the problem in a jiffy. Since it is a matter of your own investment on a good machine and your health, better take your time to choose the right model.