Best Treadmill Review and Ultimate Buying Guide 2018
Treadmills are popular pieces of cardio fitness equipment for both home and gym use. They come in a variety of models and price points so it is sometimes difficult when navigating the marketplace. We had this same difficulty when we were searching for the Best Treadmill for Home so we wanted to make a guide to help others who might be in that same situation. Whether you are just starting your search for the Best Treadmill or just need more information to make your final decision you have come to the right place.
Throughout this guide, you will also find links to our individual Treadmill Reviews so be sure to click through for a more in-depth analysis of the certain makes and models out there for sale. You can never have too much information when you looking for the Best Treadmills for Home Use.
Have a specific budget in mind? Check out these pages below for our Top 5 Picks for the price point:
- Best Treadmill Under 200
- Best Treadmill Under 300
- Best Treadmill Under 400
- Best Treadmill Under 500
- Best Treadmill Under 600
- Best Treadmill Under 800
- Best Treadmill Under 1000
- Best Treadmill Under 1200
- Best Treadmill Under 1500
- Best Treadmill Under 2000
Or check out these great categories:
Top 5 Treadmills on the Market
|3G Cardio Pro Runner Treadmill|
|ProForm Pro 2000 Treadmill|
|LifeSpan TR3000i Folding Treadmill|
|Bowflex BXT216 Treadmill|
3G Cardio Pro Runner Treadmill
The 3G Cardio Pro Runner Treadmill comes with a soft orthopedic belt which recommends it as one of the top options when it comes to an improved running feedback. Even more, it will prove to be a good option when it comes to an easy to use console. The treadmill even works as a great option when it comes to heart rate monitoring and this is why it can come as one of the recommended 3-horsepower options.
- 3 horsepower
- Orthopedic belt
- Heart rate monitoring
- No wireless connectivity
The treadmill is one of the interesting options when it comes to a great functionality on the top 5 list of the Best Treadmill. It will even be recommended for an improved physical condition at home. For this purpose, it will even come with an orthopedic belt which will be a great addition for correct running biomechanics. Even more, it will also come with a 3 horsepower motor which will be enough for the average at-home user.
The Nordictrack x11i is another great option on the list of the Best Treadmills. With iFit connectivity, it will also be one of the up to date options on the market. Even more, the treadmill will come with 44 workouts programs which will recommend it for added variation. With a powerful 4 horsepower motor, it will represent one of the best options when it comes to a good performance. Even more, with iPod compatibility, you will also be able to listen to your favorite tracks while running.
- Six year warranty
- 4 horsepower motor
- Great connectivity
- Customer service
This top rated treadmill proves to be one of the top performers on the market and one of the best solutions from the popular manufacturer. For this reason, it will be considered by the users who want a more complex option and this is why you will need to see if you truly need all its functionalities as it will not be the most affordable option from NordicTrack.
ProForm Pro 2000 Treadmill
The ProForm Pro 2000 Treadmill is one of the top options from a manufacturer which is highly respected in the industry. The treadmill comes with a 3.5 horsepower motor which places it among the top options on the market. Even more, it will offer you 32 programs to choose from for an improved variation and together with the iFit connectivity, it will even represent a good option for added up to date technologies.
- iFit connectivity
- 32 programs
- 12mph maximum speed
- Incline mechanism can be improved
This top treadmill will thus come with some of the latest technologies from the manufacturer. It even has all the functionalities you might expect without sacrificing the overall functionality for the average home user. It will also come with a powerful motor which is very close to the top options on the market. With Google Maps integration, it will prove to be a good option when it comes to added virtual running tracks around the world.
LifeSpan TR3000i Folding Treadmill
The LifeSpan TR3000i Folding Treadmill comes with 15 incline levels and can be a recommended option when it comes to an increased challenge. It will work for many types of home users who want to alternate walking with running with different difficulty settings and this is why it can be considered among the top options from the manufacturer in the affordable range.
- 15 incline levels
- Backlit LCD display
- Monitors calories and heart rate
- Not the strongest motor
This treadmill for home use represents one of the most interesting options when it comes to an affordable and challenging performer. It will come with everything you need for good workout variation with its 15 incline levels which recommend it among the top performers from the manufacturer. With an easy to use console, it will provide the right platform for many at-home runners.
Bowflex BXT216 Treadmill
The Bowflex BXT216 Treadmill is one of the popular options when it comes to a powerful motor. With 4 horsepower capacity, it will be one of the best options on the market as it will prove to come with one of the top speeds you can find. With a maximum speed of 12mph, it will be a great solution when it comes to a modern approach and for this reason, you will be able to enjoy its connectivity with modern smartphones.
- 4 horsepower motor
- Good warranty
- Bluetooth connectivity
- No wireless music
The treadmill will prove to be one of the great options when it comes to a modern design and even with an affordable price, it will manage to offer one of the best experiences when it comes to connectivity and running performance. With 11 workout programs, it will represent one of the best options for people looking to improve their overall fitness level on their best home treadmill.
Our Top Recommended Pick
Choosing the best treadmill will prove to be easier when you know which features to look for. The 3G Cardio Pro Runner Treadmill (CHECK BEST PRICE HERE) will thus prove to be the best option when looking for a great performer to use for all users. With a 5-year warranty, it will also prove to be one of the best options when it comes to a great functionality which is what most users need to get started and to keep going to see the best long-term results.
Its orthopedic belt and built-in heart rate sensors recommend it among the best treadmills when it comes to improved running results. Practically, you will be able to enjoy one of the best performers for biomechanics while also monitoring your pulse to maintain your desired heart rate through the workout. Even more, the treadmill will prove easy to use and this will recommend it among the top options when it comes to a great functionality. With a good balance of features, it manages to offer the needed performance to see improved results in terms of fitness for the average home user. Even more, it will be a top solution when it comes to compact designs to use at home.
Some Additional Treadmill Reviews (Almost Made the Cut)
Weslo Cadence G 5.9 Treadmill
Weslo Cadence G 5.9 treadmill is specially made for intensity training and weight loss. This budget-friendly treadmill is perfect for beginner to running, jogging, or walking. It comes with amazing features that will keep you interested in running and you cannot find these features on an entry-level treadmill.
The programmed workouts on the console and heart rate monitoring are the best two features of this treadmill. Heart rate monitoring is perfect and excellent for improving your fitness. Because Cadence G 5.9 Treadmill offers this option, it is certain that you will get a serious workout. Without mincing words, this treadmill is an excellent value for your hard-earned money. If it is pure value that you are looking in the best treadmill this might be a good option for you but you will have to sacrifice some of the options of the higher priced models.
SOLE F80 Folding Treadmill
SOLE F80 Folding Treadmill is a high end and premium machine that claims the title for the best treadmill in its price range. It features 15 program profiles that center on interval training; simulate hill training, strength training, cardio health and fat burning. Furthermore, it has MP3 compatibility and a chest strap heart rate monitor.
The quality features that you get for the price is what makes this treadmill great and set it apart. It has a gigantic 22-inch x 60-inch running surface motorized by a big 3.5 CHP motor and 2.75-inch high-end rollers. It also has a double woven 2-ply belt above a middle PVC layer together with a nylon backing to give a smooth, long-lasting surface free from stretching.
On the other hand, the deck is planned to take up to 40 percent of your impact to offer a comfortable and pain-free workout. Lastly, the Easy Assist Folding Deck design mostly unfolds itself and locks in place as soon as it is folded.
LifeSpan TR 1200i Treadmill
With overall features and quality, this is a great complete treadmill for home use with varieties of exceptional features. Beginning with the design, LifeSpan TR 1200i treadmill comes with a 2.5 CHP motor that will permit running speeds up to 11 mph. The 20-inch x 56-inch will accommodate nearly all the runners, the 2.5-inch front rollers and 2-inch rear rollers will give quiet and smooth and performance while the 2-ply belt will last for many years. With this treadmill, it is possible for you to adjust your workout intensity as it gives up to 15 percent incline.
Other features of LifeSpan are the Intelli-Guard safety and Patented Intelli-Step features. Lastly, LifeSpan provided TR1200i Treadmill that comes with not less than 17 planned workouts in addition to a complete link to the LifeSpan Club with the buy. The bottom line is that you will have the ability to track your improvements from a workout to another and have a lot of exercise with these features. Although it is a runner up on our best treadmills for home use list it is certainly one to consider.
Benefits of a Treadmill
- Burns Calorie Effectively – You will shed a lot of weight in no time with certain workouts designed for that purpose. Exercises such as high-intensity interval training and interval training are a great choice for calorie burning. In addition, the best exercise for calorie burning is running.
- Ensures Excellent Cardio Workout – Nothing can be compared with running and make use of a treadmill to get the heart rate up for an intense cardio workout. Moreover, running at a slower rate for a very long period of time is also fantastic for a cardio workout for building endurance.
- Alleviates Joint Pains – A number of runners feel joint pain or body injury in their life. These pains can be alleviated by running on a treadmill. It has less impact than running on concrete or pavement.
- Your Workouts are not controlled or affected by weather
- One time purchase of a treadmill saves money, unlike ongoing visits to gym
- It is economical as all your family members can use it. Your friends can also share this fitness equipment with you
- Different workout options
- Alleviates the problem of going to the gym, waiting to use fitness equipment, or even having time limits imposed on your cardio workouts
- Maintains a healthy heart
- Builds stronger muscles
- Improves your mental focus and concentration
- Superb for tracking your training progress
- Improves your lung capacity
- Improves your overall emotional wellbeing – exercising with treadmill contributes to mental health
Key things to Look for when Buying a Treadmill
Discussed here are some key things you must look for when you are buying a treadmill to make sure that you are buying a quality treadmill that meets your preferences and needs.
This is the first and most vital thing to consider when buying a treadmill. To ensure that you get great workouts always and a long life from out of your treadmill, it is significant that you opt for the correct exercise machine with the right type of motor.
Top fitness professionals suggested that people investing in this machine for the first time should buy a treadmill with at least 1.5 horsepower for a continuous duty motor. However, choose the machine with a 2.5 to 3.0 horsepower, if you plan on running on the treadmill frequently.
Decide on a treadmill with a running bed that can suitably absorb shock. Moreover, ensure that the bed and belt will not move around every time your foot strikes it.
The Size of the Belt
Fitness professionals recommended that the belt of your treadmill must be at least 48 inches long and 16 inches wide.
The treadmill you will buy must be stable and sturdy. In other words, it should not shake when you walk or run on it. Furthermore, its frame should remain stable always.
The control panel should be easily accessible or easy to reach. Opt for simple and easy to use treadmill also.
Your treadmill should come with an incline that can go up to 10 percent, for a safer and more efficient workout.
Ask yourself how much space you have to accommodate your new machine. However, make sure you have sufficient space to mount the equipment. Ensuring that you have enough space will prevent you from breaking other furnishing and lessen your chance of injury.
Once you have a budget in mind, you wouldn’t have to worry about being lured into buying a treadmill that your budget cannot accommodate. It will also help in deciding the store you will go to. There are different prices for different treadmills. Look for the machine that falls within your budget range.
This is essential if you have limited space available. Where will you store your machine when it is not in use? You need to consider a folding treadmill you can easily fold and rolled into a store if you don’t have much space available. However, consider the weight of such treadmill and the type of flooring you have for your exercise machine.
When you choose a storage area, measure it and go out with the measurement to where you will buy the machine. Measure the treadmill size and compare it with measurement of the storage space you have. You can be sure that it will match the space.
Is the Treadmill for Walking or Running?
Walking or running on a treadmill puts divergent demands on the treadmill. You put more pressure on the belt of a treadmill than when you run. This is because when you walk, your feet are on the belt more and this makes the motor of your treadmill work harder. Consequently, look at the continuous duty rating for the motor when shopping for a treadmill. Make sure this figure falls anywhere between 1.5 to 2.5 horsepower.
However, you must make sure that the length of the running deck of the treadmill is long enough to accommodate your running stride if you are planning to use the machine mostly for running.
How to Use a Treadmill
- Begin Slowly – A good number of the available treadmills comes with safety features that stop them from starting out at very high speeds, but never take chances. Start slowly by placing one foot on either side of the belt as you put the machine on, and mount on the belt after you must have determined that it is moving at the slow set-up speed, normally between 1 and 2 miles per hour.
- Concentrate and Look Ahead – If you center on what is in your front, you will always walk straight ahead rather than swerving off to the side. Do not turn around to answer when someone calls your name when you are in the middle of the treadmill.
- Do not Depend on the Handrails – It is okay to hold on to balance as you are learning how to use the exercise machine. However, let go once you are comfortable. If you swing your arms freely, you move more naturally.
- Don’t rely on the handrails – Holding on for balance when you learn how to use the machine is okay, but let go as soon as you feel comfortable. You move more naturally if you swing your arms freely. If you hold onto the front rails and lean back, it means that you are working at a very high level, which is bad for the machine and your elbows. Moreover, you are burning extremely fewer calories than expected. Nevertheless, hold the handrails lightly in order to feel steady and safe, if you have balance problems.
- Never go without putting on shoes – Avoid going for workout barefooted. Whenever you are going for your treadmill workout, always wear a good pair of walking or running shoes.
- Avoid reading on the treadmill – If you read while you are on a treadmill, you may lose your balance and stumble off the side or back.
- No use of phone while on treadmill
- Supervise children closely around treadmills
- Slow your treadmill down gradually if you want to get down
How to Maintain the Best Treadmill
You need to maintain your treadmill to a particular level, in order to keep it running smoothly, get the most out of its functions and enjoy it for a long time. The cleanliness of this exercise machine and the condition of the belt are the two vital things to consider. Lubricating the conveyor belt and keeping it free of dust is essential maintenance tips for any type of treadmill.
It is always suggested by fitness equipment manufacturers to carry out a yearly maintenance by a qualified technician elongate the life of the machine. Nevertheless, there are a few tips to help you maintain your fitness equipment and keep it in good condition.
- Examine Your Treadmill on a regular basis before each workout to prevent serious accidents
- Clean your fitness machine immediately after each use by wiping down your sweat from the machine. Liquids can make your machine rust after some time, and this can hold back the functionality and aesthetics of your equipment. You can do this cleaning with a slightly moist rag or dry towel. The handrails, frame, and console are the areas that require attention.
- Clean the deck as it is one of the costliest parts of the machine. Some decks need waxing. Depending on the model of your treadmill, wax should be applied automatically from an internal reservoir or by the user. Make sure you keep the internal reservoir of your machine full at all times, if it has one, on the other hand, ensure that the surface of the deck is clean from dirt.
- Remove the dirt below the treadmill regularly with a vacuum with extender wand. It will remove the debris and dust from below your treadmill. You can fold up the machine in its storage position for easier access and cleaning.
- Lubricate the belt with the special lubricating oil if your model requires it.
- Regulate or set the tension on the belt if the running belt is loose and wants to slip under your feet. Check the tension of the running belt on a regular basis as well.
- Always remember to disconnect the machine from power before cleaning it to eliminate the risk of electrical shock. Make sure you confirm that the power cord is unplugged before carrying out any kind of maintenance on your treadmill. Carry out routine maintenance and check the motor every month and get rid of dust particles that may have accumulated on it.
A treadmill is one of the fitness exercise machines that most fitness enthusiasts own and use regularly today. Working out on a regular basis on the best treadmill can help you build muscles, stay fit and lose weight. A top rated treadmill for home can as well protect you from the negative effects of age-related health conditions like heart diseases and diabetes. Most of the available studies have also discovered that working out on treadmills frequently can help alleviate insomnia and depression
Invest in this fitness machine for your personal home use today and enjoy the benefits of working out on treadmills on a regular basis without having to spend time and effort to go to the gym. You can work out anytime you like and won’t lose time in driving to the gym with a treadmill in the comfort of your home. The treadmill reviews and ultimate treadmills buying guide above will help you buy a quality top rated home treadmill that meets your requirements.