Talk about bodybuilding and you think about dumbbells instantly. Instead of using them for your arms, you can also use them to strengthen other parts of your body, such as your legs and abs. If you do not have much idea about dumbbells, these are basically small metallic rods, with detachable metal plates of different weights on either side of the rod. You have to fix plates of a specific weight, as per your requirement, in order to work out. However, thanks to the rapidly progressing technology, these days you will come across adjustable dumbbells in various fitness stores. One great benefit of using such highly advanced dumbbells is your chance to save your hard earned money. Just one set of adjustable dumbbells can replace a variety of fitness machines. Here are our Adjustable Dumbbells Reviews.
Top 3 Adjustable Dumbbells
How Do Adjustable Dumbbells Work?
Most of you must be wondering about the technology behind an adjustable dumbbells set. These products come with a number of grooved plates with metallic weights in each plate. The 2 ends of the dumbbells have dials, which are marked with the different weight options. This dial is attached with a bracket, which runs across the top of all the weight plates. Once you turn this dial to a specific weight, the bracket picks up the plate corresponding to the weight chosen by the user. Simply pull out the handle from the block. You will notice that just the chosen weight plates come out from the block and the remaining plates stay as they were.
Reasons to Choose Adjustable Dumbbells
If you are planning to invest your money on a good quality workout equipment, then you will find the adjustable dumbbells one of the best options in the market. There are several other reasons to buy such dumbbells for your personal use.
- Pocket Friendly: Do some research work on the various workout machines available in the market and you will come to know that these will more or less cost you a small fortune. On the other hand, adjustable dumbbells will merely cost you around $200 to $300, subject to the weights of the entire set. The wide range of exercises you can perform with such an equipment makes it a good value for your hard earned money.
- Does Not Take Much Space: If you decide to buy the traditional dumbbells, you may have to choose quite a few with a variety of weight plates for different types of workouts. These also require a dumbbell rack for proper storage. The rack will require quite a large area of space in your room. However, if you go for adjustable dumbbells, you can easily place them in one corner of your room. These do not require much space and can save a lot of space for your benefit.
- Wide Range of Workouts: If you buy an elliptical or a treadmill, you can perform just a specific number of exercises on these machines. If you use adjustable dumbbells, you can perform a wide array of workouts with this equipment. Simply change the position of your body and you can perform tricep kickbacks instead of bicep curls. It can help you get a total body workout without buying different types of exercise machines.
- Maximize Your Muscle Development: Dumbbells are one of the best types of free weights. If you know something about bodybuilding, then you will know that working out with free weights can help you maximize your muscular development. Reason being that dumbbells are not as stable as machine weights. As a result of this, you require more body muscles in order to stabilize the equipment during your workout routine. Try to do normal bench press and then follow it up with dumbbell press. You will instantly notice that the latter is way tougher than the former.
- Easily Adjustable: If you use traditional dumbbells, you will have to spend some time in changing the weights of the equipment. However, if you use an adjustable dumbbell, you can easily change the weights by changing the pin. This can save you a lot of time, which you can utilize in your exercise routine.
Some of the Popular Adjustable Dumbbells in the Market
Ever since the popularity of adjustable weight dumbbells grew in the market, the varieties of such fitness equipment have also increased. Here are some of the popular types in fitness stores.
Powerblock Elite Dumbbells
Powerblock Elite Dumbbells are generally popular amongst advanced body builders. The weight range of this equipment is from 5 pounds to 90 pounds and this one piece of dumbbell can easily replace 28 different pairs of traditional dumbbells. The bars of this product is designed in such a way that it allows a user to use one hand at a time. The weight plates are steel welded and the weights can be altered in 5 to 10 pounds increments. Some of the features of the Powerblock Elite Dumbbells are discussed below.
- The weight change mechanism is well constructed and user friendly.
- Is very sturdy and has a commendable balance.
- The product comes with a 10 years manufacturer’s warranty.
Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells
When you talk about heavy adjustable dumbbells, you will definitely talk about the Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells. It has a very sleek design and looks quite attractive. You can easily perform 30 different types of workouts with the help of this equipment in approximately 80 variations. The mechanism of this product is suitable even for first timers and comes with a weight tray where different plates of various weights are held. Some of the features of this product have been mentioned here-under.
- The dumbbell is very attractively designed and extremely user friendly.
- Does not take up much space in your room and the weights can be changed without wasting much time.
- The range of the weights start from 5 pounds and go up all the way to 52.5 pounds.
- The Bowflex SelectTech 552 Adjustable Dumbbells come with a 2 years warranty period.
Yes4All Cast Iron Adjustable Dumbbells
One of the most adjustable and quite sturdy dumbbells in the market, Yes4All Cast Iron Adjustable Dumbbells comes with chrome handles. This provides a comfortable grip for users. This user friendly dumbbell has 4 collars to hold the weight plates. The weights come in sets of 1.25 pound plates, 2.5 pound plates, and 5 pound plates. Other features of the product are mentioned below.
- Yes4All Cast Iron Adjustable Dumbbells comes with a 5 year warranty.
- The price of the product is pocket friendly and everybody can afford it easily.
- The hand of the product comes with a non-slip grip for the convenience of the user.
- The dumbbells and the weight plates are made from high quality materials to help them last long.
Ironmaster 75 Pound Quick-Lock Adjustable Dumbbells
If you have a shortage of space at home, then the Ironmaster 75 Pound Quick-Lock Adjustable Dumbbells is the best product to help you build your muscles. Made from welded steel, these dumbbells allow users to switch weights very easily. The weights start from 5 pounds and go up to a maximum of 75 pounds. Here are some more features of the product.
- The Ironmaster 75 pound Quick Lock Adjustable Dumbbells comes with a stand, which is especially designed for you to store the weights.
- The product comes with lifetime warranty.
- These dumbbells are suitable for advanced body builders and you can buy extra weights up to 120 pounds.
- The product is very durable and steady. The weights do not shake at all.
- You may also use the weights with any other regular metal bar you may have at home.
Unipack Cast Iron Adjustable Dumbbells
If you are a first timer at body building and have a tight budget, then you may go for the Unipack Cast Iron Adjustable Dumbbells. The product is made out of cast iron and the weights are at regular intervals of 2.5 pounds. The weights are in sets of 5 pounds, 2.5 pounds, and 1.25 pounds plates. Although you can easily increase the weights for tougher workouts, the product does not accept extra plates. Other features of the product include the following.
- The design of the bars are such that you can easily use one hand to lift it.
- And ideal fitness equipment for beginners, as well as, intermediates.
CAP Barbell 40 Pounds Adjustable Dumbbells
This product is also quite suitable for first timers and happens to be one of the easily adjustable sets in the market. The weight plates are in the intervals of 2.5 pounds and 5 pounds. The set also comes with 4 threaded collars and 4 rubber trip collars, which assist in holding the weights. Other features of the product are discussed below.
- These weight adjustable dumbbells come in an ergonomic design which makes lifting quite easy.
- It is made from highly durable materials and does not require much maintenance.
- The handles of the product are quite comfortable to hold even for long hours.
- The CAP Barbell 40 Pounds Adjustable Dumbbells come at a very affordable price.
Factors to Look For While Shopping For the Best Adjustable Dumbbells
If you are planning to set up a small sized gym at home for your personal use, then dumbbells should be an important part of the gym. If you have seen professional bodybuilders working out in fitness clubs, you must have noticed that they use heavy dumbbells for most of their work outs. However, when it comes to shopping for adjustable dumbbells, there are certain factors to keep in your mind while shopping. This will help you choose the best product as per your requirement.
- Easy To Switch Plates: Always make sure that the adjustable dumbbells you wish to purchase have a mechanism which makes the switching of plates a very easy process. The process should be quick and without much fuss. Nobody would like to waste time changing plates during their workout routine. This would also lower down your heart rate and allow your muscles to get cold in between different sets of workouts.
- Plates Which Do Not Slide: When you go out to buy adjustable dumbbells, make sure that the various weight plates do not have a tendency of sliding on either side of the bar. This may be a major distraction for you during your workout routine. Check to see whether the product has a securing agent to hold the plates securely. Continuously clanking noises during your exercises can be quite annoying.
- Proper Range of Weights: While shopping for adjustable dumbbells, check and see whether it has the minimum and maximum weights you need during your exercises. In fact, it would be better if you have a wider range of weights than you need now. In the future, you will definitely need more varieties to your weights. If you buy a costly set and soon find out that it is of not much use to your workout routines, then it may prove to be a waste of money.
- Check The Reviews: One of the best factors to consider while shopping for adjustable dumbbells is to check the reviews of some popular products in this category. Also check for some common features in the dumbbells such as the durability, stability, and a comfortable grip.
Just like building a body like Arnold Schwarzenegger or Sylvester Stallone is not a simple task, similarly choosing the right set of adjustable dumbells is not as easy as it may seem to you. It takes time and tons of homework on the subject. Hasty decisions may result in a waste of money, which is best avoided. If you can talk to professional body builders or even the gym instructor in your local fitness club, it would be of great help to you. Just remember that buying any type of workout equipment is a kind of investment. Thus, taking the right step will yield great result for you in the long run.