Best Recumbent Bike for 2018
Recumbent bikes are a great option for your home gym because they are very low impact and can be used by anyone no matter their age or their fitness level. In this guide, we help you find the Best Recumbent Bike that fits your exact needs both functionally and financially.
Have a specific budget in mind for your Recumbent Exercise Bike? Check out our TOP 5 PICKS for different price points.
- Best Recumbent Bike Under 200
- Best Recumbent Bike Under 300
- Best Recumbent Bike Under 500
- Best Recumbent Bike Under 1000
Or By Category:
Top 5 Recumbent Bikes on the Market
LifeSpan R3i Recumbent Bike
With 400lbs user weight capacity, the LifeSpan R3i Recumbent Bike is a great option when it comes to a good functionality with pulse sensors and a console which is easy to use. The built-in pulse sensors represent one of the interesting options when it comes to measuring your performance. Even more, the bike comes with 17 preset programs which recommend it among the top performers in terms of workout variation.
- 17 preset programs
- Integrated pulse sensors
- LCD display
- Seat cushioning can be improved
The recumbent bike represents one of the most interesting options when it comes to a good functionality and a modern design. It will come with a full seat for extra comfort and while the backrest is not fully cushioned, it will provide a good support for the long workouts.
Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike
With 29 programs and 24 resistance levels, the Schwinn 270 Recumbent Bike is one of the top options when it comes to a great challenge. It will be one of the bikes which can be used every day since it can even provide a new workout every day of the month, keeping your cycling sessions more challenging. With a modern console which will allow you to easily control the bike’s configuration, it will prove to be a great option for people of all fitness levels.
- USB charging
- 29 preset programs
- 24 resistance levels
- Fan speed needs improvement
The bike is one of the recommended options from one of the most respected manufacturers on the market. With great program variation and with 24 resistance levels, it will prove to be a great option when it comes to an added level of performance with good versatility. The bike can also work for added comfort as it comes with the built-in console fan. Even more, it will represent one of the top options when it comes to device connectivity as it will come with the USB charging port.
Diamondback Fitness 910SR
With integrated speakers, the Diamondback Fitness 910SR will be one of the best solutions when it comes to a versatile bike which is easy to use. It will also be a recommended solution when it comes to program variation as it will come with an impressive range that covers different training styles. The bike will offer 35 workout programs to choose from and it will represent one of the top solutions when it comes to seat adjustability. This is where the steel frame will provide the smooth gliding experience needed for a top performance.
- 35 preset workouts
- LCD display
- Adjustable seat
- Backrest not adjustable
The bike represents one of the top solutions when it comes to a great performance. It will come with a wide range of programs which target strength and cardio and it will thus be a great solution when it comes to a good versatility. The bike will also be one of the most important options on the market in terms of durability and its sturdy frame will recommend it among the best options for this purpose.
ProForm 440 ES Exercise Bike
The ProForm 440 ES Exercise Bike comes with an adjustable console angle for improved visibility regardless of your height or position. It will also stand out in terms of lumbar support with its over-sized backrest. With a selection of 32 preset programs, it will prove to be a great option when it comes to a good performance. The good news is that you can even monitor the performance with the help of the built-in pulse sensors.
- Great lumbar support
- 32 preset programs
- Adjustable console
- Seat needs improvement
The bike represents one of the best alternatives to the uncomfortable options on the market. While its design can be improved, the lumbar support will prove to be a great design to reduce the pressure on the lower back. Even more, the bike will come with a good performance from a cycling perspective which recommends it for users of all levels.
Nautilus R616 Recumbent Bike
The Nautilus R616 Recumbent Bike is one of the recommended solutions when it comes to great entertainment. For this purpose, the manufacturer added the Bluetooth technology and together with the acoustic speakers, this will allow you to listen to your favorite tracks while working out. With a heart rate monitor, the bike will also be a great solution for improved and precise effort measuring.
- Bluetooth connectivity
- Acoustic speakers
- 29 programs
- Heart rate monitor not precise
The bike represents one of the recommended options when it comes to connectivity and data transfer. With the help of the Bluetooth connectivity, it will prove to be a good option for many users looking to effortlessly transfer data. But most importantly, the bike will come with 29 programs which represent a great option when it comes to workout variation.
Our Recommended Pick
All the recommended bikes have their strengths and weaknesses but in the end, the decision will be yours since they all concentrate on a different approach. For the average home user, the LifeSpan R3i Recumbent Bike (CHECK BEST PRICE HERE) will prove to be the best option. The bike impresses with its great usability and a modern design which makes it a great solution when it comes to quick workouts. With a short learning curve, it will also represent the bikes which offer an impressive performance from the start and it can even be a good option for years to come since it comes with a durable construction.
The bike thus represents a great option for many users and the best option when it comes to ease of use. With 5 dedicated weight loss programs, it will also prove to be a great solution when it comes to added versatility with the needs of modern users. Thus, you will be able to train at home every day and this will make it one of the durable options which are also easy to use when it comes to tackling your weight.
A To Z about Recumbent Bikes
Obesity is one of the most dangerous enemies one can ever imagine to fight against in his entire life. If ignored, it can lead to the commencement of several health diseases such as heart ailments, diabetes, and high blood pressure. Doctors say that regular exercising is the best way to fight obesity, which will eventually reduce your risk of facing other related health problems in the long run. However, one major factor, which does not allow many people to exercise regularly, is time. Most of you must be busy executives, who often find yourselves working long hours in your office. For people like you, finding enough time to do proper justice to your body in a nearby gym is next to impossible. The best alternative is to exercise at home. There are several exercising machines which have come out on the market. One of the popular ones is the recumbent bikes.
What Actually Is A Recumbent Bike?
Most of you may not have heard the name of this type of exercising machine. You must have seen people exercising on spin bikes at home. A recumbent bike is more or less similar to a spin bike. The only basic difference lies in the position in which a person exercises. On a recumbent bike, a person has to sit down comfortably before he starts pedaling. It has a chair like a seat which allows a person to sit down and back so that the body weight is taken completely off the upper back.
This allows the person to concentrate on his legs while pedaling. A recumbent bike is especially suitable for those who suffer from any sort of back problems, whether on the lower portion or the upper portion. You will also not feel any sort of hard-hitting actions on both your knees, which is quite characteristic to running on the treadmill. In short, you exercise on a recumbent bike in the normal leg cycling motion without putting any sort of pressure on your back.
Points To Consider While Shopping For a Recumbent Bike
Is it the first time that you have decided to buy a recumbent bike for your home use? There are several factors to keep in mind while shopping for one. With these points in mind, it will make things much simpler for you to choose the right model. Here are some of the factors discussed.
- Track Your Progress Effectively: Wouldn’t it be nice if you could track your daily progress on the machine effectively? There are several bikes which come with a data tracking machine. It displays the calorie burnt, distance covered, and time taken to cover the said distance. These will help you push yourself further each day in order to get back in shape.
- Adjustment of Resistance and Workout Programs: When shopping for a recumbent bike, make sure to shop for one which comes with the feature of resistance adjustment and a list of pre-programmed workouts. Resistance is the key while working out on such bikes. On a good quality bike, you can easily adjust the resistance to give you the challenge while working out. These high-quality models also come with pre-programmed workouts which can help you get better results while exercising on a recumbent bike.
- Size of The Flywheel: It is good to know that the larger the flywheel of a recumbent bike, the better experience you will have while exercising on it. If you wish to feel as if you are riding a real bike on the road, a large flywheel is important.
- Load Capacity: Make sure to choose a bike which comes with a greater capacity to carry weight. Most of the recumbent bikes available in the market come with the normal capacity of 113 kgs or 250 lbs.
- Your Budget: It is needless to say that not all types of recumbent bikes come at the same price. If you are on a tight budget and do not require a bike with loads of features, then opting for a cheaper model should be a good option for you. On the other hand, if you wish to buy a recumbent bike with the latest features, then choosing one from amongst the top models will be a suitable thing to do.
- Available Space: Buying any exercise machine will take up a good amount of space in your house. Even if you choose a compact model, you certainly need space in order to use the machine comfortably. This is why always check to see if you have the much-needed space at home before you decide to buy such a machine for your daily use.
Advantages of Using a Recumbent Bike
If you have never exercised on a recumbent bike, then you will not understand the benefits of doing so. Here are a few advantages mentioned.
- Low-Impact And Intense Workout: Try any other machine, such as a spin bike or a treadmill, you will feel a lot of pressure being thrust on your legs. This, in turn, may harm your ankles, back, hips, and knees. Although you may not feel any pain in such areas at the beginning, with time you will surely feel the pain, which may even force you to stop exercising. However, if you use a recumbent bike, there is no fear of causing any damage to your upper and lower back, as well as, your knees, hips, and ankles. At the same time, the workout will surely be quite challenging and intense.
- Achieve Great Cardio Benefit: It is a known fact that no other exercising machine has ever proved itself worthy of toning the butt and legs of the user as much as a recumbent bike. It has also been noticed that pedaling on such a bike can also help you achieve great cardio levels right in the comfort of your home. According to research, if your heart rate can reach the level equivalent to that of cardio fitness, in as much as 20 minutes, then it is a great achievement.
- Save Your Hard Earned Money: It is needless to say that if you have a recumbent bike at home, you can surely save the money on the gym membership and on your car gas.
How Does A Recumbent Exercise Bike Work?
If you often visit your nearby gym, you must have seen people sitting comfortably on a bike and pedaling for hours without feeling any pressure on their legs or back. This bike is the recumbent bike. Although it is quite similar to a spin bike, the only difference lies in the way the user sits on it and the method of pedaling. A recumbent bike is designed in a very ergonomic fashion, which allows the user to sit comfortably on it. Unlike a spin bike, the user has to pedal in-front rather than pedal down. It has a flywheel which rotates as the user starts to pedal. Resistance can be altered with the help of a magnetic application on the flywheel. The parts of your body which get a proper workout on such a bike are the calves, glutes, thighs, and abdomen.
Ways to Maintain Your Recumbent Bike
Just like any other machine, your recumbent bike can also get defective after prolonged use without proper and timely care. If you take good care of the machine, it will surely take care of your body for many days to come. However, the main question is, how to go about maintaining your recumbent bike. Here are some tips to assist you in such matters.
- Wipe It Daily: After you pedal for long hours on a recumbent bike, your perspiration is bound to drip on various parts of the machine. If you do not wipe away your perspiration from the bike after every use, it may gradually and surely damage the moving parts of the machine. Use a dry piece of cloth to wipe your bike after your exercising is complete. If needed, you may also use a mild solution to clean the different parts of the bike. Some of these parts may include the handlebars, the seat, the flywheel, and other sections of the bike.
- Check for Any Loose Screws: It is quite possible that after many days of usage, some of the screws may come loose. If you ignore this, it may result in some type of a serious accident in the future. This is why it is always suggested to keep an eye on any loose screws and to try and tighten them as soon as possible. It is always a good idea to fix such minor problems before they get to a point where using the bike becomes next to impossible or uncomfortable.
- Check for Signs of a Wear or Tear: With time, you may notice parts of the frame peeling off or some parts not allowing the machine to operate smoothly. During such situations, always seek help from a reliable and experienced repairman. Always remember not to try your hands at fixing any type of damage to the machine, as it may aggravate it.
- Oiling The Moving Parts: Since there are several parts of a recumbent bike, which move at the same time as the user starts to pedal, it is important to lubricate these parts on a regular basis. Use a good quality grease to do so. If you are not aware of which material to use, you may seek advice from an experienced repairman for the same.
Ways to Find Out About the Right Exercise Bike for Your Use
Most of you must be wondering how to decide which recumbent bike will be good enough for your daily use. There are several ways to solve this mystery. Discussed below are some ideas to help you in such a case.
- Research Online: One of the easiest and quickest ways to find out about the best-suited bike as per your requirement is to research online. There are several websites which can give you detailed information on this matter and also give a comparison table on the various popular recumbent bike models available in the market. However, do make sure to check those sites which are reliable and provide the most updated information. When it comes to technology, what was once prevalent and popular, soon becomes obsolete.
- Ask A Trainer: If using the internet is not your cup of tea, you may ask a physical trainer, whom you may know personally. You may also ask the trainer in your local gym. With his experience and knowledge, he should be the right person to guide you in the right direction and give some fruitful advice on this subject.
- Seek Advice From A Friend: Do you know a friend or colleague who works out every day? If you trust his knowledge, then you may ask him to suggest a suitable recumbent bike for your daily use at home. However, it is not necessary to follow his suggestion blindly. You may crosscheck his suggestion by asking others or also by checking on the internet.
- Discuss With Dealers: You may also ask some of the dealers of stores which sell exercise machines in your town. Discuss your needs and see what advice they give you.
In a way, buying a recumbent bike means investing your hard earned money on something, which will help you stay fit and strong for a long time. This is why it is very important to take your time while shopping for such machines. Think about all possible criteria, such as maintenance, the cost involved in buying one, available time to use it on a regular basis, and a space to keep it at home, before you finally decide to go for it. Unnecessarily buying such a costly piece of equipment and not using it will make you feel unhappy about your idea. This is why try and avoid hasty decisions and think before buying a recumbent bike. Nonetheless, if you buy one and use it on a daily basis it will help your body and mind in several ways. We hope you enjoyed our Recumbent Bike Reviews.